Inhibit rating for upcoming movies

Please inhibit the possibility of rating a movie which isn’t published yet. It’s very annoying when importing data via Trakt API and the data is “corrupted” by ratings of funny people for the unpublished movie.

Inhibit? Do you mean prohibit? Not make it possible?

I disagree. Sure there are “funny people” but don’t forget about pre-releases, previews and testscreenings.

2 Likes

I meant “inhibit” as to block, to prohibit, yes.

Maybe there’s a way to mark serious reviewers who can watch pre-releases or test screenings. Because it’s very annoying to receive voting/rating for an upcoming movie. For example: Creed III will be released on March 3rd, that’s over five months from now, but the entry on Trakt.tv has already 5 votes with an average voting of 63%. So if I collect data via the API I am receiving those “fun voting” and have to remove them manually.

Therefore, it would be nice for Trakt to have a “procedure” or “system” or whatsoever to block fun voting from funny folks.

I agree it’s annoying that some people vote so early. We’ve had numerous discussions about this over the years, with the main challenge being different release dates. Some films might come out months early in a certain country for example.

If we prevent votes, that also impacts all apps that use the API and they need to handle that error condition, so it’s not as simple as it might seem.

A few ideas are:

• Popup a confirmation message on the website if you vote/watch early (the iOS app does this already)
  • Hide the rating on the website and official apps until the release date
1 Like

Dear Justin, I chose the second idea: I am now hiding the Trakt.tv rating on my site until the release date of a movie.