💬 New Trakt Feedback

I tried this new look and it’s absolutely confusing, hard to use, lacks a lot of functionality and it’s so horrible I really don’t even want to try to get used to it. So if the admins will force it to us, I will seriously consider leaving trakt after 14 years… Please don’t do it! I know one person doesn’t matter but I’m sure a lot of paying users will leave this site.

14 Likes

My grievances are the same as other people here: the new look just sucks. It can see how it might work on a tablet, but on a regular pc it sucks to use with a mouse. Where is the grid of movies? Why am I forced to use this sidescrolling thing? I sucked up the price doubling last year, but with this lack of usability I will not be renewing my subscription anymore. It’s not worth my money for this shit only to track my watched history. If I want something bad, I would vibecode it myself.

20 Likes

theyre working on vertical UI for desktop viewing, its in progress on their feedback/roadmap so hopefully it comes soon. I agree there is a lot of wasted space on desktop but the overall look is nice and a lot of the old features are being worked on or fixed

I have some feedback. My “Trakt workflow” usually involves navigating between episodes to mark them as watched, view comments, rate, and write my own comment. Classic Trakt is much better for navigating between episodes, because it has those arrows you can click, and it allows using the arrow keys on the keyboard as well. New Trakt doesn’t have either of these navigation methods as far as I can tell, making it much more cumbersome to navigate between episode pages within a season. This clear downgrade in navigation was the thing that bothered me the most before I switched back to Classic.

Also, I am just now noticing that my VIP price doubled and I was already charged the increased price. I don’t remember ever being notified, and it’s quite a hefty price increase, and this New Trakt is making me lose faith in Trakt’s ability to design a good platform, so I cancelled VIP.

22 Likes

Apart from the launch of V3 being way too early given the lack of feature parity, I wonder from a pure UX perspective how things could have turned out this way, and why it seemed necessary to mess with what was more than fine?

The V2 trakt web experience has, in all honesty, always been one of my go-to examples for good web app UX. And there are extremely few web apps that I would consider to have good UX.

There’s enough information density in V2 while still being image-rich and visually pleasing. The new UI is just blank. All the important navigation elements are sprinkled seemingly randomly around the page, not a single positioning or spacing seems to line up with anything else. Most stuff is hidden behind extra clicks for no reason, and the icon-only priority is very ambiguous. In V2, it always seemed intuitively clear where to click to get something done. In V3, everything is guesswork. Is it maybe just hidden? Is it missing entirely? Or am I misinterpreting one of the icons?

Elements are logically placed in V2, with clear separations between different sections. In V3, everything is thrown onto a single pile with little rhyme or reason, and no way to visually distinguish one thing from the other.

V2 had awesome information visualisation. The progress bars beneath shows were the most helpful thing ever for a site like this. Season overviews, watch and comment history, genre and ratings overviews, everything was easily available and immediately understandable. V3 seems to have just deleted everything? I can still see a checkmark on what I marked as watched, and… that’s pretty much it. I can find the number of remaining episodes, if I know where to look. But my actual progress? No idea. What made me choose Trakt over any of the alternatives were the massive amounts of information, stats, sorting and filtering options. Most of that is gone now.

And the lists… where is my watch history? I see 2 movies when I open the page. If I scroll to the footer, then back up, then to the footer again, then back up again, it loads 2 more movies. Another footer-top-footer-top-footer and I see 2 more movies. At some point, the infinite scroll recovers and starts working somewhat (although it ends after ~4 months?), but… it’s infinite scroll.

UX experts have been warning for more than a decade now that infinite scroll is almost always a terrible idea. It is always worse than clear pagination, like V2 had, for uncountable reasons. I’m flabbergasted that a website still chooses to implement infinite scroll these days.

I don’t enjoy being too negative, but the functionality of the site is just gone in V3. 99% is missing. Which would be one thing if it was a super visually pleasing upgrade, but the new look is an inconsistent hodgepodge of spacings and icons and rounded corners and scrollbars, nothing lines up, nothing matches anything else. If I saw the two sites next to each other and didn’t know any better, I would’ve thought V2 was the upgrade to V3. I’m not exaggerating when I say that in 30 years of using the web, as far as UX and UI design go, Trakt V2 is one of my best-rated experiences ever, and Trakt V3 one of my worst-rated ever¹. Something went wrong guys!

I really hope you’ll keep V2 around, otherwise it’ll also be the end of my VIP subscription, because my flows simply don’t work anymore.

¹ Another one that ranks close to the bottom, thematically related, was the MobyGames redesign while they were owned by Gamefly. But even that wasn’t as bad, because it just broke the UI, without acutally removing any functionality (as far as I remember). My biggest hope is that what happened with MobyGames will also happen with Trakt: the community outrage about the redesigned site was so universal, that they reversed course, emergency-restored the old site, and rededicated their efforts to improving the older, better site, which worked and which users liked.

42 Likes

Any reason why backdrops are no longer shown on movie/tv show pages?

Was there a particular reason why we had to stop using the old layout of this site? It was basically perfect already so Im curious why the need to fix something that (seemingly) wasnt broken…

9 Likes

Couple of specific pieces of feedback:

The Series page has a couple major issues, notably, if you have watched more than the first 7 episodes of whatever season you are on the current episode is not shown, and you have to click the little arrow next to the season to open the side panel to then scroll down and find the current episode, which is an insane process to do the most common action for a show.

In general, the page has several issues, including putting “Actors”, “Reviews”, and “Extras” above the actual episodes.

When I go to a series page I want to:

  • See what episode I am on.
  • See upcoming episodes.
  • Mark the current episode as watched
  • See how much of the season I have remaining
  • See how much of the series I have remaining.
  • See where I can watch the show (already featured :slight_smile: )
9 Likes

It would be nice if report buttons could come back so that movie/tv entries can be reported for data/image refreshes

2 Likes

It’s in the pipeline… Add Content Reports · Issue #1899 · trakt/trakt-web · GitHub

2 Likes

Imo this should be prioritised over other features. Not having this feature can get in the way of literally the very point of this site, which is to track watch history. Which isnt possible in some cases when a page for a film/show cannot be refreshed to import the data…

2 Likes

Yeah it’s very hard to find where to log out on V3. It does not say log out but is a little DOOR icon for the arrow going through somewhere on Settings.

I keep getting directed to V3 as opposed to V2 more and more often lately… But logging out and back in does seem to work

1 Like

it looks like they removed the bigger log out button in favor of that log out symbol on desktop. on mobile i still see the logout button at the bottom of settings

i’m all for symbols/glyphs but i hope they keep the log out button or at least relocate the log out icon on desktop. it would fit nicely under the “General” “Data” “Advanced” options closer to the left side or even as a pop out from the profile icon when clicked

1 Like

btw one really good reason backdrops should return is because there are a lot of movies/tv shows without posters, so backdrops may be the only good visual representation of what that movie/tv show is…

2 Likes

For me, the worst aspect of V3 that I also consider a core thing to have, is the browsing of shows and episodes, with their watched statuses.

In other apps like TV Time, and also in V2 IIRC, you would navigate to a show, scroll down a bit, and see a vertical (NOT horizontal) list of seasons, with a colored progress bar. In V3, you see the stupidest ever progress bar that has a 10px width - it looks like a joke. You then selected the season, and navigate (to a different screen) to another vertical list of episodes, with colored statuses. In V3, of you don’t see a watched and an unwatched episode next to each other, you have no idea what the icons mean - white (instead of green) is done, and purple is not, and what’s crazier is that both states are using a checkmark icon :man_facepalming:t2:

You should never have a horizontal scroll for potentially long lists of important info like these! And there should be separate screens between shows, seasons, and episodes! For example, how do you even deep link with an implementation like this?

Please go through Apple’s HIG, hire a better UI/UX designer, and fix this, before you collapse :folded_hands:t2:

12 Likes

You guys really had something amazing with V2 and all the features and stats and seem to have thrown all that away in V3. I simply cannot comprehend the lack of features available in V3 and if it doesn’t get changed back, will most certainly be cancelling my vip

24 Likes

the icons are not clear. even if they were, all buttons need to have a description when you scroll your mouse over them! it’s not acceptable to have to guess.

2 Likes
  1. more “Sort By” options

  2. I am currently constantly using the “Progress” page when deciding what to watch next. It is the one page on Trakt I use most often - very seldom using anything else! Not only does that page not exist on V3, but the “Continue Watching” page cannot be sorted in the same way as the V2 Progress page.

  3. At the very least, it needs the ability to sort by completion %, episodes left, and time left - these are significantly different and helpful for different reasons.

9 Likes

This new UI is utterly terrible.

  • Everything is much harder to find and less intuitive
  • There is significantly less information presented to the user now, when the whole reason most people use it is to track what they watch and see statistics about it.
  • It’s incredibly cumbersome to use - there’s like 3 more clicks to do any action. You also can’t use the arrow keys to navigate between episodes anymore, which I used pretty much every time I looked at episodes.
  • The design feels like if Microsoft and Netflix had a baby. And we all know the public sentiment around both of those right now.
  • “Allow multiple watches” should not be defaulted to off - pretty sure most would prefer to track how many times they’ve watched something.
  • The new watching streak thing is a blatant cash grab by getting people addicted to their crap.
  • There seems to be simply far less features in general, definitely far less customization.

This feels like Trakt has just completely lost sight of who their user base is. People who want to track the shows that they watch are usually going to be people who know what they’re doing and what they want. They’re power users. This entire update feels like it’s removing most things that power users would want; and instead making the site look fancy.

16 Likes

Hey, one thing I used to do (even though it wasn’t an advertised feature) was if I saw an actor / actress, director / etc. that I realized I watched a lot of content from and was often satisfied with I’d add the person to a list titled My People. This worked as a discovery mechanism and helped me check in to make sure I still enjoyed recent content from followed people.

I know that functionality of adding people to lists was never problem-free, but if a way to visualize the artists and creators behind the content we all watch were to be revisited I think it would be great to see. Even if automated and displayed based on a backend algorithm that checks how many of their titles we’ve watched and our average ratings to show who we enjoy work from.

It would also be great if we could follow the creators once surfaced to notify us if they have a new project in the theaters or airing soon.

I also had My Shows, My Movies, and My Episodes to keep a master list of my favorites that I had seen and would like to share and find again. This worked in tandem with the rewatch functionalities to see a favorite show I hadn’t seen in awhile and might want to start again.

Another use of these types of lists were to track my favorites to watch seasonally, so My Holiday TV Episodes, or My LGBTQ+ TV Episodes to surface specific episodes I like to rewatch outside the typical episode orders.

1 Like

Hate the new UI too! I had to go to ChatGPT to figure out how to get back to the “classic” experience. Don’t just default me into the new, give me an option! If I can’t continue to use the classic version I’m canceling my membership!

5 Likes