Remove the 5 word limit

Probably this limitation is for spamming purposes but i think nowadays a lot of coll and smart comments can be less than 5 words. A whole generation can say two words and describe a feeling for a movie or show.

I wanted to write this

Can you please consider removing the limitation ?

Thanks!

A while back I was forced to write this when I made a succinct but pointed remark about the plot of an episode of Star Wars Visions:

Screen Shot 2023-07-29 at 23.53.34

I understand that a ton of one-word responses is unwanted, but is that really going to happen? If the rule is removed is there going to be a flood of one-word replies? I seriously doubt it. Lazy comments will end up getting ignored and smart comments using few words are fun to read. (And a lot of people, including myself as I illustrated, are going to find a potentially-unsightly way to post what they wanted to say anyways.) So I agree that it shouldn’t be a hard-coded rule, rather it’s better to just crack down on the few serial offenders when they show up from time to time (at best).

2 Likes

Lazy comments can be flagged by other users so eventually will get them to dissapear.
Also maybe a VIP feature or only available to people with more than 6 months registration or 10 reviews+ on their resume.

This may avoid something.
But in gerneral yes please remove it, it doesn’t offer anything nowadays.

3 Likes

Has anyone from the mods think this through ?

That’s a good idea to relax this limitation after a certain number of comments. The minimum is there to combat spam from way back in the Trakt v1 days. Nearly every comment was a one word comment when we first added commenting.

6 Likes

Yeah I’ve always been if you are really commenting less than that, just rate it instead. But I guess people are different and use reviews for different things. I’d just hate to see it end up as spammy/meme filled bs like Steam reviews.

i agree, but don’t forget Trakt still calss it SHOUT, which is just a shout, like give me something.
And especially on episodes the commenting can be just something clever about a thing that you saw on a 20 minutes episode.

Maybe remove for episodes and leave it for movies where actually review should be something meaningful

2 Likes