Option to hide watched history from profile while having your personal watched history public

Hi I have over 500 lists that I’d like to share. Some lists have over 1000 items and I’ve spent a long time creating them.
I’d like to share them but keep my watched history private.
I can only see this benefitting Trakt. I plan on making more lists and thinking of taking request, so someone can ask me a specific kind of list such as “turtle monsters” and I can create one. I use others list to create a super list.
If this lists get popular, then my privacy is compromised so I have no choice but to keep my lists private, which doesn’t help Trakt.
I’m sure lots of people would love this feature. Please can you consider this?
This will make Trakt more awesome, and have more privacy at the same time. it only benefits Trakt. If a mod wants to see my 500 lists and see how much it could benefit the community, I’ll show.

3 Likes

This is a great idea, could even be a nice “vip” feature, I wonder if you would need the option to have the progress tab private too.

Great Idea. I’m still new to Trakt. I posted on reddit that I have 500+ lists that I will import from IMDB and will share. they were excited and just as I was about to share my username to them I realised everyone can see my complete watch history and everything. I find it off why anyone would want that to be public.
I was reluctant to pay for VIP but had no choice in order to get my lists here. took me like a day to figure out how to import those 500+ lists from IMDB.
and Trakt VIP is worth every penny for me. The features I can do to lists is just amazing! But after I found out my watched history and everything I do be public I didn’t share (understandably) which is a shame and also people from other sites can’t see them and can’t interact with my lists to see how awesome Trakt is.

My lists are so big that it makes sense to use the filter options to filter using genres etc. this helps others to see how amazing Trakt is when you are allowed to have so many lists and so many items in each with all the options it has. It might spur others to create lots of lists and share them but without having to compromise their privacy and sign up for VIP.
Just allow us to share lists without attaching our personal details to them such has watch history, progress tab etc.
I like the idea of it being a VIP feature. that’s a brilliant idea! Hope a mod see’s this. Can a mod pm so I can show them my lists and they can better understand how it could benefit the community

2 Likes

Sorry I don’t mean to hijack your thread/idea…but I was just thinking perhaps going even one step further, and possibly having a show/hide toggle under settings-profile for whether each of the below tabs are visible to other users looking at your profile. That way you can control basically which of your personal data you want others to see. Just an add on thought to a great idea from OP.

1 Like

Love this idea! gives us complete control. This could work for Trakt, to have a slogan. Take complete control over your data. share only data you want to, hide the rest.
and put this for VIP’s.
It’s a good selling point and if my lists become popular then it attracts even more people to trakt community.

1 Like

You can adjust the privacy of each list to “link”. This generates a unique link for the list that anyone can use to view. Not as robust as privacy controls, but this is how it can be done for now.

Thanks Justin for the reply. I’ve seen that feature, I might have no other choice but to use it. but having to create 500 links then try to update my list is going to hard and people will have to search for my links on forum rather than able to find using trakt users search. or they can’t friend me and easily see my lists all in one go.
Can I ask what is the reason why trakt is reluctant to add such a basic privacy feature? People are just going to private their profile then only the people they friended can view them and the community isn’t able to search for those lists. I don’t think I want to spend another few hours trying to copy 500 links, I just thought I would try to benefit the community.