Remove voting limit

It appears that there is a restriction on how many things you can vote on. This is counter-productive and goes against the entire point of the voting system.

How am I supposed to express my desire to have a feature implemented via the correct function if I cannot use it?

4 Likes

The idea is to make your vote count on the items you want to see implemented most. We might increase the votes as more feature requests are added, but I don’t see giving unlimited.

4 Likes

I agree, but I can also see it both ways. Already, because I know I have a limited number of votes, it’s made me be really judicious with my votes and only use them for features I’m certain I really want - which I am sure is the point. :wink:

However, your point is very valid as well - what if I’ve used up all my votes (even being judicious with them, and not just using them on every whim), and then someone suggests a feature I really want? Now I either can’t vote for it, or I’m forced to remove one of my previous very carefully selected votes.

Like I said, I see both sides, and I don’t have a good suggestion. But just wanted to support your idea, as well as express that I understand why they’ve set it up the way they have.

Maybe the solution is to still keep it limited, but just increase the limit?

Edited to add: …and while I was typing this, @justin replied much better and more succintly than I did. :laughing: :+1:

Like @belovedjg, I can see both sides of the argument but overall I feel it’s better to have a plentiful number of votes (which arguably amounts to an infinite amount).

Having a restriction on votes makes voting into a weird zero-sum game. It’s kind of assuming there’s a set number of good ideas and it also doesn’t take into account the fact that ideas you vote for may be a good idea but something that will take a while before they’re implemented, meaning it holds your vote hostage for a long time; the alternative is you unvote for something that then looks less important/wanted as a result.

I can kind of agree giving limited votes to new forum users but I think once you’ve interacted with the forum a certain amount and for a certain time, the cap ought to be removed.

1 Like

The votes will increase as your trust level increases in the forum. It doesn’t get to unlimited, but does get quite a bit higher as you remain active and engaged in the forums.

3 Likes

I actually think that’s a great compromise.
Unlimited votes ever for everyone is just about the worst possible idea.

2 Likes