Recommendations Filtering

I know this may not be a big deal for some people, but it kinda is to me. PLEASE give an option to remove anime from the recommended TV shows/Movies results. It’s a nice feature, I don’t want to be forced to turn it off. I do like some anime, but as an American, I am overwhelmed with it. I know there are all kinds of members here with different tastes, and I know I can’t be the only one that has complained about this. As it stands right now, the recommendations are not diverse! What the hell?

The other thing that I’ve noticed is that, the program tends to repeat the same movies I’ve hid. It happens so many times that it’s no longer a coincidence. So, you can’t run that line that “it works fine,” cause I definitely find some issues.

I feel the same way about anime but to each their own. I do want much more relevant recommendations though and so you have my vote. I have it turned off right now as it never recommends anything I like.

3 Likes

And I want to be able to filter out those trash US comedy cartoon shows :laughing: (I never understood that Rick & Morty hype, and I never will)
I like my anime recommendations, but I do watch a ton of anime (and also other shows lmao), so I figure it wouldn’t recommend it to someone who doesn’t watch it.

(and the trash lists of people who add a whole custom filter of Trakt search as a list, or even worse, all the episodes they watched in a year, or stuff they don’t have an interest in :woman_facepalming:)

3 Likes

the thing is, I do tend to watch Asian martial arts films. However, that’s not anime, and neither are they cartoons. If their algorithms were working like they supposed to, I shouldn’t be seeing an abundance of anime TV shows. All this time I thought TRAKT was using my scrobbling data to find out what I like and don’t like. But instead, I realize it’s just away to share with our followers what we’re watching nothing more. Other wise the scrobbling is almost useless

The bottom line, TRAKT employees have got to be aware how personal movies are. The algorithms are not working as it should. There are just too many instances that obviously indicates this, and I’ve been using TRAKT long enough to know they’re not being totally honest when they say “it works fine,” or “it’s working as intended.” You can only pull that line so many times before a real movie/TV fan realizes something is wrong. Their focus is not about algorithms and helping their members find movies; TRAKT is actually a holding place for people to add their collections, and NOT to assist in the actual finding of good movies that cater to our individual tastes (not even close).

My anime recommendations are gone :frowning: Kinda sad!

See this tweet, explains my change in recommendations, although I’m not quite sure of it’s meaning.

So far, the recommendations look a lot more reasonable/more my taste. However, I took note of TRAKT’s twitter statement:

My interpretation of that is, it kind of confirms my suspicion, which was the algorithms they’ve talked about in the past never really existed. Although this new “algorithm” takes in to account the people we follow, it’s still not a personal algorithm. But, I accept it because I try to only follow people with similar taste in movies and TV, so it’s better than no algorithms. But, I’m not gonna be quick to say it’s an awesome win yet until about 6 mo. from now. We have to give time for these new algorithms to build.

2 Likes

I think the best approach to this would be to bring back the old recommendation list from v1. You would choose if it was a movie or a tv show and then you would be also able to specify the genre and then it would bring a list based on it. It’s one of the few things that I miss about Trakt v1.

2 Likes

Oh? This was definitely before my time here. This is my second year of membership. I definitely would have like that. It just seems odd to me that more people didn’t complain about this? Or perhaps they did in the old forums and I wasn’t aware of it.

However, just in case, I want TRAKT to know that their site IS still awesome! Which is why I got upset. It seemed like TRAKT dropped a number of huge basketballs on this subject matter. If you’re truly a movie fan (or even a music fan), you understand how incredibly important algorithms are. Programming staff can’t take for granted how hard it is to find good content when there are literally thousands and thousands of content released every month. And I’m talking both mainstream, independent films, and old classics no one has ever heard of. If you’re paying attention, it’s not hard to tell whether or not a site actually has algorithms or if they’re working. Without a functional algorithm TRAKT is just randomly throwing stuff at us. If I “hide” a movie or TV show, logically I’m gonna think that the smart “algorithm” is gonna know I’ve saw the recommendation already. It shouldn’t show up several more times in a span of two weeks.

I would also think that my ratings would be apart of that algorithm variables. It’s just was obvious care was not taking to effectively setup that algorithm.

1 Like

If I remember correctly it was something that people asked to bring back when they did the v2. This version of the site is a lot more responsive and with less clutter I think, It’s something they ended up postponing 'cause it would take up a lot of time for such a small team. We now have lists which is a big plus and they can kinda replace the recommendation tab but I still would love if they would bring it back. Since the v2 I stopped using the recommendations 'cause I don’t feel it’s working, I always end up search for movies on other sites and add them to my watchlist here.

Maybe it’s something they are looking into now? They did update it a few weeks ago

3 Likes

Lol. Very interesting… Absolutely a website is gonna provide and have more structure than an app. No more begging… It’s all good. :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

Agreed, I always thought that history should be added to affect it as well, and maybe it could be updated so that hiding something from recommended help it improve? Also having a see more button would be nice.

1 Like

Oh, I see. I sure hope they’re working on it. 'Cause right now, I don’t think there is any place for movie fans better than TRAKT! It is litterally a social media specifically for movie goers. The only one of its kind! I know people try to put Twitter and Youtube in the same category, but they’re not. TRAKT is the only one specifically for movies.

The lists is one of the reasons why I decided to donate to the site. They’re incredibly important. However, the recommendations tab cannot be solely replaced with lists. Because the problem with lists, we have a lot of movie studios and vendors who obviously have an agenda to push certain movies. This is one of the reasons I don’t use IMDB anymore to search for movies, they’re just not applicable to me (unless I need information about a specific movie. Sometimes these studios create lists so large, you can’t humanly go through all of them, and they’re a waste of time. Sometimes it takes a little work to find lists by “real users.”

Companies like TRAKT need to start thinking more like Spotify in terms of algorithms. It should take in to account the movies I rate, the friends I add, the lists I follow, Collections, how many episodes I watch from a show to be considered a liked show or season, etc.

I would also recommend that TRAKT change the “hide button,” to just simply a “next button.” They should also try to fit a “NI” button for not movies/TV we’re not interested in (and include it as part of the algorithm as well.

1 Like

Being able to show and hide different genres for recommendations would be awesome ! I used to be flooded with anime as well so I stopped paying attention to it. Right now I don’t see the anime anymore but I still don’ pay that much attention to it because I don’t really see interesting things.

2 more things I would like to see with the recommendations.

First of all an option to expand and see more items because ~/show/recommended is completely different I feel like.

Second I would like to see a way to hide items ONLY from the recommendation list. A feature they also use with steam (if you guys play video games) in their “discovery queues”, which is awesome! Therefore, I would be able to hide items that are being recommended to me without it being hidden from the whole website. Maybe in the future I do become interested in them but since they are hidden everywhere I won’t interact with it anymore.

2 Likes

This is because (I believe), the algorithms (if some form actually exists) are not built from a user’s use of the site. I believe the algorithms are built using all active users of the site in order to output what’s popular/trending, instead of accounting for individual taste. Those to things produce completely entirely different results. It is things like this that make me wonder whether the employees here are really movie fans, or just guys who know how to program.

Not sure what you meant by this —>> [quote=“idelo, post:16, topic:5911”]
First of all an option to expand and see more items because ~/show/recommended is completely different I feel like.
[/quote]

I’m not a gamer, so I can’t really relate. However, for me, “hide,” has a very specific meaning for me. Instead of having something that “hides,” they need to have a thumbs down or something, and add that to the algorithm of things we DON’T like. This is why I believe so many of the same movies pop up within a week or two. The algorithms are based on generality, and not by user experience.

This is because (I believe), the algorithms (if some form actually exists) are not built from a user’s use of the site. I believe the algorithms are built using all active users of the site in order to output what’s popular/trending, instead of accounting for individual taste. Those to things produce completely entirely different results. It is things like this that make me wonder whether the employees here are really movie fans, or just guys who know how to program.

I was talking about this when I said that the trakt.tv/show/recommended looks so much different than the recommendations at the bottom. The recommendations at the bottom of the home page seem to be a little bit more gauged towards individual user and the trakt.tv/show/recommended is more of all active users indeed. I would like to be able to expand the number of options you see for individual recommendations.

I’m not a gamer, so I can’t really relate. However, for me, “hide,” has a very specific meaning for me. Instead of having something that “hides,” they need to have a thumbs down or something, and add that to the algorithm of things we DON’T like. This is why I believe so many of the same movies pop up within a week or two. The algorithms are based on generality, and not by user experience.

Thumbs up and thumbs down system would be awesome to discover new shows and for the system to look at similar items to recommend or not to recommend. I have to say the recommendation system from V1 was awesome

1 Like